Monday, September 7, 2009

Beyond the Border, San Diego

Beyond the Border International Contemporary Art Fair was held in San Diego, California September 2 - 4, 2009.  It was a first in many ways.  First time ever held.  First time for IAO Gallery to participate and first time for many of the IAO artists to participate in such an event, including myself.  First, we had to get there.  Have to give credit to Albert Wang for having the vision and making application.  Thanks Albert.  Have to give him credit as well for selecting a diversified stable of artists to participate and attend.  Again, thanks Albert.

After that process, however, we had to physically get there.  That in itself is an adventure.  I volunteered to drive my SUV and take as much art as possible along with Albert and Brian Staker, our drafted journalist for the event.  Twas a long, arduous trip - 13 hours in a cramped SUV.  Took an hour to get through Las Vegas; took an hour to bypass an accident on the interstate.  We were ready to climb out of that vehicle upon arrival.  Took three hotel luggage carts to remove bags, artwork etc. from the vehicle to our room.

Other artists began to arrive:  David B. Smith from NYC; Mindy Kober from Houston; Darren Breen from Provo; Mark Phelan from Boston; Andrew Wrigley and Rachel from Philadelphia; Jamison Sarteschi from NYC; Kay Tuttle an Tom from Denver; Stacy Wexler from California; Amy Caron from Salt Lake City; Mason Fetzer and Carlee from Salt Lake City; Circlegal from Salt Lake City with Zach from Canada; along with qi peng, Brian Staker, and myself from Salt Lake City.  At one point we had eight people in our hotel room (four on the floor and four in the beds).  A whole lot of rhythmical snoring invading the silence - wait there was not silence.  We took turns inhaling and exhaling.  Sounds of sleeplessness filled the atmosphere.

Wednesday, we set up the IAO booth.  It was exciting and electric with everyone scrambling in the ballroom to put the finishing touches on their booths.  Wednesday evening was the VIP opening.  Our booth garnered much attention and was perhaps the edginess booth present.  Along with the VIP event and Thursday and Friday, I passed out at least 500 of my own business cards.  And even though, IAO Gallery only sold two pieces, we were in good company - most galleries sold nothing.  We made some excellent contacts though.

Speaking of contacts, I, personally, had some excellent encounters, and received some excellent advice concerning my art.  One young lady was enamored with my work and chose to spend at least a half hour looking through my portfolio - that in itself was worth the whole trip as she inspired me.  Another gentleman plans to come to Salt Lake City for a studio visit (awesome).  And Mr. Allen (that's his first name) advised me to paint my life events (2 strokes and 2 heart attacks) into my work.  Now, how am I to do that - that's for me to determine, I suppose.  So far, nothing; although I've been thinking about it.

We experienced wonderful food, tasty wine and vodka; oh, and unforgettable laughter.  It was very entertaining, and I thought I was too.  Circlegal drew my picture based on a story I told.  Thanks Circlegal.  

The IAO artists became a family, perhaps a dysfunctional family; but what the heck, aren't most families?  Saying 'au revoir' was sweet sorrow (ugh, I used a cliche).  Some left Friday evening.  For qi, Brian and myself, it was packing up Saturday morning.  I don't understand it, 3 hotel luggage carts going down, four on the return.  We left San Diego about 11:30 mountain time.  Made several stops for gas and potty breaks.  We stopped in Primm, Nevada; I was walking around looking for a candy bar and someone slapped me on the butt.  Would you believe, it was Circlegal who had stopped at the very same location.  Small world.

We rolled into SLC about 11:30 pm.  I don't know about Albert or Brian, but I've been pretty exhausted ever since.

2 comments:

  1. What a great story (good speech material too)! I can just picture the eight artists in the hotel room!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo, Jerry! You are inspiring me with your bold forays into new fields of artistic endeavor!

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe:

Google Groups
Subscribe to JHardesty Art
Email:
Visit this group