Friday, October 23, 2009

Eye Candy

Eye candy? What's that? The Wikipedia definition of "eye candy" is attractiveness. Eye candy then could include anyone or anybody who is attractive. How does eye candy relate to art?

First, let me explain that there are some collectors who scorn, sneer, ridicule, criticize and perhaps who do not even view a work of art unless it makes a social or political statement. To them, I say "Bah Humbug." They are missing so much. Art is meant to be attractive. It is meant to be hung and admired and enjoyed over and over.

When I first heard the term "eye candy," as an artist I felt belittled. My reaction has since changed and to those who originally intimidated me, I now say "SCREW YOU!" I am proud of my eye candy. I am an neo-abstract expressionist. I use color, texture, and form to create a painting that appeals to me - that excites me and appeals to my own emotions - and I hope appeals to the viewer. Most of my paintings could categorically be labeled "eye candy." So what? As a viewer returns to one of my paintings, I want them to appreciate it anew each time and see something different each time. If I can create a work of art that brings the viewer back again and again, then I have succeeded as an artist.

1 comment:

  1. Right on, Jerry! I think there's a place for both kinds of art. Most of my own work falls into the "eye candy" category and I make no apologies. In my home, I collect art that makes me feel positive (including one of your paintings)! On the other hand, I think there's a place for art that makes a statement, that challenges our perceptions of social issues, etc. I've painted a few of those, too, and I hope, someday, to find a museum or other place to hang them because I'm not sure I want to look at them all the time on my own walls!

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe:

Google Groups
Subscribe to JHardesty Art
Email:
Visit this group