Thursday, August 6, 2009

Addiction, Obsession or Passion

Utah Artist's League met this morning at Melodie's cabin to plein air paint and have lunch.  One of the discussions focused on addictions (you know, caffiene, smoking, drinking ).  We did not, however, reveal our own addictions.  Assume for a moment though that addictions are bad, and they are.  What's the difference between an addiction and obsession (equally bad) or is there any difference?  I won't bore you with dictionary definitions, but to paraphrase an addiction is a dependency on something (you cannot live without it) and an obsession is a preoccupation with an idea or feeling.

And art or any aspiration for that matter?  I like to think of my art as my passion.  It is a driving force in my life - I have to do it or I am unhappy - unsatisfied.  A friend stated that I go at it.... "with my balls against the wall."  Hmmm.... like gangbusters.  Nothing gets in my way.  If I were unable to paint, I would be depressed.  Is this a normal approach to a passion or aspiration?  Or is this a part of my Type A personality?  To wrap it up, I would have to say, I have an obsessive addiction for my passion.  My wife would say I'm just addicted.

1 comment:

Subscribe:

Google Groups
Subscribe to JHardesty Art
Email:
Visit this group