Sunday, February 19, 2012

Performance Painting, "Tango"

Painting live with an audience can be quite challenging.  My focus on February 17, 2012 was to finish a painting that would satisfy not only me but also the audience.  I accomplished both these goals.  When I painted "Chameleon" for South Towne Orators (see previous post), I did not finish as I had too much interaction with the audience.  At DF Dance Studio in Salt Lake City during Gallery Stroll, I had one hour in which to complete my painting; therefore, I asked the audience to hold questions and comments until the end.  I could have talked more as I painted but I was "in the zone" and focused on a finished painting.

I first drew spontaneous marks on my 36x48 canvas with charcoal, and explained that as I added paint these would bleed and that they could be covered with paint.  My purpose was to energize the canvas and to have something to look at other than a white-painted canvas.  I then applied acrylic cobalt blue paint with my gloved hands.  I used all the blues I had in addition to the cobalt: cerulean, light blue, ultramarine, phthalo, also dioxazine purple, red and white.  Blue is my favorite color followed by yellow.  I did not want to use yellow as combined with blue would create green which would dominate the painting.  I also used a tempera blue.  I use water and various tools to create textures and interest.  

After taking comments and questions, as a finale I squeezed sweeping lines of white and blue from their tubes (one fan called this     my signature)...    I titled the painting "Tango," afterall we wer at DF       Dance Studio...  Watch for the video.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe:

Google Groups
Subscribe to JHardesty Art
Email:
Visit this group